Making sure getting back into the swing doesn’t mean hanging myself

Baby Ari is five weeks old now – she’s giving me one good 6 hours stretch of sleep most nights (record is 9! 9 hours! I was ecstatic!) and with the C-Sec wound closed and clean, I’m starting to try to get back into life again. For me this means two things. First and foremost is getting this sciatica under control. Starting next week there will be  pool visits (hopefully 3 a week) to do some gentle laps and movement in a low impact environment to try to get some condition back. Not being able to move for 6 months really undoes all your hard work at the gym I’m here to tell you! Bring on the splash splash. The reason that has to come first is so my hips don’t explode when I get to my other projects next year (i’m hoping there will be many)!

Secondly, and somewhat more interestingly from your point of view I imagine, is that I’ll be getting back on board with ‘An Inspired Cookbook’! This is a project I was involved in before Ari made it physically impossible for me to do anything, and much to my delight the other ladies involved held onto my job for me and are keen for me to come back! For someone who was starting to feel like they’d dropped off the social radar, finding out they still wanted my help was a big lift and I’m so glad to have something to get involved with!

The cookbook started life as a fundraising platform for the Hobart Mums Network, (I’ve written about them before) run by Christine Jolly here in Hobart. As with many great projects, it was taken on with great gusto by a group of women (myself included) who probably had no idea how much work would actually be involved! That said, I think these ladies have proven that they can more than rise to any occasion, and with photographers, printers, graphics designers and social media on board, come release date I think everyone will be very impressed with the result. Keep your eyes on this space for the launch of our social media campaign in the new year, and the opportunity to preorder a copy!

15 comments for “Making sure getting back into the swing doesn’t mean hanging myself

1. December 4, 2012 at 8:23 am

How lovely for you to slowly be returning to activity. Must have been terrible having to stop everything like that. Fairy wishes and butterfly kisses, enjoy your swims.

• admin
      December 4, 2012 at 8:27 am

Thanks, I’m one of those terrible people who’s actually pretty happy to be inactive… as long as it’s MY choice. The second it’s enforced I start going stir-crazy. My poor husband hasn’t have a particularly pleasent pregnancy experience this time around. On the positive side, all the lack of sleep etc that comes with a new baby hasn’t seemed so bad because my blood pressure is normal, the lactose intollerance is gone and my feet are a somewhat more normal size!

2. December 4, 2012 at 10:41 am

Not being able to move for 6 months would do my head in! So glad things seem to be back on track for you now. I surely be checking the cookbook out when it’s launched, too!

• admin
      December 4, 2012 at 12:11 pm

Thanks Mandie! Everyone is working really hard on it and I’m confident it’s going to be really great!

3. December 4, 2012 at 12:49 pm

It’s great that you are starting to get back into it. It’s going to be tough but you seem positive. Good luck! Rachel x

• admin
      December 4, 2012 at 3:23 pm

more some days than others, I admit. When the sciatica goes nuts and I can’t get around I get pretty grumpy.

4. December 4, 2012 at 1:13 pm

Sounds excellent, looking forward to seeing more. Hope it’s not too hard to get back in the swing of things.

5. becc03
    December 4, 2012 at 1:37 pm

How exciting for you. I know how hard it is to get back on top after a period of time “off the radar”. Good luck with it all :)
    Becc via #ibot

6. EssentiallyJess
    December 4, 2012 at 8:44 pm

I had a whole bunch of time on bed rest with baby number 4, so I fully understand your joy at being able to get back into things again.
    So nice that they held your position, and are excited to have you back. That must feel awesome

• admin
      December 5, 2012 at 5:04 am

It’s just a voluntary position doing the social media for the project, but yeah, it feels really good. I’ve spent a lot of months feeling pretty useless to be honest. My husband is a wonderful man, and he’s always saying I’m not useless at all, I was making Ariana, which was the most important job in the house… still, not being able to cook for myself or clean or you know, move. Poor husband had to babysit me in the shower in case I fell because my blood pressure was so stupid and if I went down I couldn’t get up by myself. At least that bit’s past now.

It really is great to start feeling useful again.

7. angatmeltingmoments
    December 5, 2012 at 2:11 pm

Bet you can’t wait. Don’t go to hard into it though. Take it easy :-)

• admin
      December 5, 2012 at 2:40 pm

I started my yoga routine today. Once a day for a week then going up to twice a day next week as well as some hydrotherapy (which is basically bouncing around in a pool). With a little luck I’ll be able to get back into ZUMBA early in the new year. I did my instructor training in the first few weeks of my pregnancy, just in time to not be able to move! Great big bugger that one.

8. December 28, 2012 at 7:54 am

Congratulations on the new baby. Pregnancy and childbirth certainly take it out of you (particularly if coupled with other health issues), pleased to hear you are starting to feel a return to normality.

9. December 28, 2012 at 8:42 pm

Congrats on the new bubs babe, wishing you a Happy New Year and feet up as much as you can. Looking forward to your cookbook too! Once my 4 kids get out of the kitchen, I too may write down the exact measurements and create an ebook in my old age :-)

Always a great FYOB night!

XxDani

10. December 29, 2012 at 11:50 am

Isn’t it a great feeling when we start to get our lives back on track post birth. Look forward to hearing more about your cookbook x